Wednesday 9 April 2014

Praising Mr. Banks

 
 (Saving Mr. Banks Review By Neamo)

Looking back over my recent articles, namely the only articles I have in fact written, I would feel remiss if I didn't try to impress upon you that I'm not the pedantic asshole I'm portraying myself as. I do in fact garner an enormous amount of enjoyment from movies, television and the entertainment industry at large, and while the soul of an angst riddled pessimist lurks deep in the hollow edifice of my chest, there are things I actually do enjoy. I'll be the first to admit I'm overtly critical of flaws, and part of the enjoyment in of a film for me is the ability to find fault, which is easy as perfection is rare to non existent and movies are numerous. I enjoy critiquing good movies and in a similar although far more venomous facet, ripping meaty chunks from things I detest. It's a nice way to while away my evening hours, and if nothing else it provides me with an outlet for the building toxins and bile that would otherwise take a team of trained Swiss physicians years to drain from my various bloated orifices. I'll be the first to admit, it's easier to criticize than glorify and in many ways it's more fun to write, which is handy as perpetual fawning is the mark of a fanboy, and no one likes a fanboy. In light of that, I thought I would review something I enjoyed to change pace, and perhaps so that I can sleep easier tonight knowing that I'm picky, not pretentious.


Saving Mr. Banks is the true story of how P.L.Travers, a haughty relic of the prim and proper days before modern indulgence, falls upon hard times financially and agrees to sell a characteristically charismatic Walt Disney the rights to her book Mary Poppins, with a set of otherwise impossible proviso's that ultimately aren't adhered to. That's one way to look at the film's story, and it isn't an incorrect one, the events surmised are the events that take place and ultimately as a premise for a film in of itself, it isn't the most captivating plot. There are no grand chase scenes, no great sweeping romances or life altering events, so if that is what you are looking for, this Disney film is not for you. Instead through flash backs during her time with Disney we see the fairly traumatic back history of a woman subdued and embittered by a deeply rooted father complex that has dictated much of her life today. A gambler, a drunk, a dreamer and an idol, his fall from grace into the depths of alcoholism destroyed much of her family and left a road map of emotional scars in her otherwise damaged psyche. In her interactions with Walt and her driver, we see the dreamer suppressed rise once more, and while the change is gradual it renders heart and soul in her development and bloom. That being said, take this all with an oceanic pinch of salt as, being a Disney true story, the emotional story and change of perception within are conjecture to ease the film into the realm of the sentimental. My prior assessment is truer to the actual events as they transpired in life.


The acting of the film is pretty phenomenal. Whilst I could rightly say it's driven by sentiment and implicitly sickly sweet in portion, which it is I'll grant you as this is a Disney movie, the character portrayals stand far and above the shallow portrayal I had dubiously expected when embarking upon it. I'm not casting aspersions on the actors or indeed the company at large, but the trailer footage and general air of promotion around this film suggested a heart warming family tale, and that often leads down a slippery slope greased with Hollywood butter and sweetener. It wasn't that. With a performance of clear and honed conviction as P.L.Travers, Emma Thompson reminded me quickly of her acting credentials which had been forgotten prior in a slew of film for paycheck releases that had left little to flatter. She is an incredible actress, as evident by works I shall no doubt review at another time, and she acted much as a supporting pillar for this film with her sharp candor and depth of dry wit. It was a true performance, and it made the development though gradual of her emotional journey all the more poignant in an ending scene that gave a genuine tug at the heart strings. Tom Hanks in the same breath provided a perfect foil as the faintly sardonic but irrepressibly charming Walt Disney. There is something innately likeable about Tom Hanks that I'm frankly perplexed by, an innate charm to his on screen performances that is difficult to emulate and impossible to describe, and he brings the same undeniable presence to Disney that attracted audiences to the lovable thespian in many of his other roles. While as a critic I find it irritating to settle with the description charming, it is the best suited word for his performance. Paul Giamatti will go down in the annuls of history as being one of the most underrated actors of this generation, and his performance likewise was warm and heartening without giving an air of falsehood, and the supporting cast including the talented B.J. Novak, Jason Schwartzman and the sobering Colin Farrell all play their part in a fantastic way.



The setting was certainly fine, though to say more of it would be a little facetious as it was set almost entirely within an office or in the flash backs of Travers Australian home. Fine is the appropriate word, as I didn't feel myself awed by the setting or scenery, and I don't believe I should have. It was intended to be real to life, and the majestic realm of Disney theatrics would have only distracted from the main cast. The musical score was a joy to behold as, although it consists of songs that are essentially the clones of those from Mary Poppins, they are used to aid in the dynamics of the story itself which is no mean feat. Giving a sense of lyrical exploration, each word takes meaning beyond the childhood jingles of old, and we are left with a sense of deep rediscovery that both warms and heartens.




It's difficult to critique, and it's possible I'm avoiding it for the sheer pleasure the film brought me. While there are hairline faults if examined closely, I shall on this occasion leave them without highlight as I am pleased if nothing else to talk of it's merits without hindrance. A special film, with a special place in my heart. I would advise watching it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...